Update Biggest Quadra Firmware.
The Biggest Quadra has two areas to update when performing a firmware update. Both the system firmware, and the bridge firmware must be updated separately.
The system firmware must be updated through the 9-pin serial interface. A cable to connect to this port is not included with the drive, but they are readily available from most electronics stores. The procedure must be done from a computer using Windows.
- Download the latest firmware update from http://www.lacie.com
- Power off the LaCie Biggest Quadra.
- Connect one end of the Serial/RS-232 cable to the Serial/RS-232 port on the back of the LaCie Biggest Quadra, and the other end to a Serial/RS-232 port on the host computer.
- Launch HyperTerminal: Start > Programs > Accessories > Communications > HyperTerminal.
- The Connection Description dialog box will appear (if this is the first time that HyperTerminal has been launched, you will be prompted to enter information about your location.) Enter a name that will identify the connection (ex. BiggestQuadra), and select an icon that will represent the connection. Click "OK."
- The Connect To dialog will appear. From the "Connect using:" drop-down menu, select COM1 or COM2, depending on which Serial/RS-232 port you are using to connect the LaCie Biggest Quadra.
- The COM Properties dialog box will appear. Set the values to the following:
Bits per second: 19,200
Data bits: 8
Stop bits: 1
Flow Control: Xon/Xoff
Once the values are entered, click OK. The HyperTerminal connection is now established.
- Power on the LaCie Biggest Quadra and press the ESC key on the host computer’s keyboard. The >>>>> prompt will appear.
- Type in the command: download.
- When the Enter '1' to Download Firmware is prompted, type in: 1.
- Now, locate the updated firmware file to send. If you are using HyperTerminal, go to the Transfer menu and select "Send Text File…"
- Send the firmware file as a text file. The file will start to download.
- When the file has been uploaded, restart the drive to finish the firmware update process. Once the unit has finished restarting, you can view the new firmware version through the LCD Display.
The next step is to update the bridge firmware. This can be done from either a Macintosh, or Windows computer, and must be done using the Firewire 800 interface. Download the latest Update Tool or Device Updater from http://www.lacie.com Run the updater, and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.