Begin troubleshooting by examining the physical setup of the Ethernet Disk. Ideally, place the drive and the computer on the same switch or router. Make sure the cables are connected securely, and the lights near the Ethernet ports are on.
Disable any anti-virus or anti-spyware programs. IP configurator and Network Assistant uses a less common protocol called ARP to find an Ethernet Disk. As this isn't often used by computer users, many firewall and security programs will interfere with it.
Connect the drive directly to the computer with an Ethernet cable (a crossover cable if the computer is more than a few years old.) This will determine if the router is interfering with ARP. If it works then, connect to the router's web administration page and look for the drive on the DHCP table. This term is different from router to router, but most can display a list of all connected computers (including the Ethernet disk.)
If nothing works, reset the drive to factory defaults to see if the problem is related to the drive's configuration.
The procedure below will reset the 5big Network to factory settings:
1. IMPORTANT NOTE: Following the procedure below can ERASE ALL DATA on the drive. Prior to following these directions, verify important data is stored securely on a different storage device.
2. Switch the drive OFF. Once it has shut down, ensure the power switch remains in the OFF position.
3. PRESS AND HOLD the button on the front. MOVE the power switch to the ON position. The light on the front of the drive will start blinking after a short while (approximately 40 seconds.)
4. Once the light stops blinking, RELEASE the front button.
5. When released, it will begin BLINKING AGAIN. When it stops, PRESS AND HOLD the front button. The light will begin to blink again.
6. When the light stops blinking, RELEASE the button. The drive is now resetting itself.
7. In most cases, data on the drive prior to the reset can be restored. To restore data. recreate the shares and users on the unit prior to the reset. Any firmware updates applied will need to be applied again.