Verify System and Connection Requirements
Step 1 – Verify
Before connecting your Ethernet Disk mini, make sure that your broadband home network is running properly. Make sure you are able to access the Internet from your computer. HipServ automatically configures the majority of today’s consumer routers utilizing UPnP features. Make sure your router UPnP-enabled. If the router is not UPnP enabled, refer to http://www.homelacie.com/help/router/ for manual configuration help.HipServ Connection Requirements:
HipServ Desktop Applications Minimum Requirements
- Broadband Internet connection utilizes Ports 80 (http), 443 (https) and 22 (ssh) unblocked – refer to your ISP for details
- UPnP router (with UPnP enabled; see router user guide) or refer to http://www.homelacie.com/help/router for more details
- Personal Computer running Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista or Mac OS X 10.3 or later
- Internet Explorer 6 or higher, Firefox 1.5 or higher, Safari 1.3 or later
For HipServ Agent, QuickConnect and DesktopMirror:
- Windows XP SP2
- Vista, 2000 SP4
- Mac OS 10.3 or later
Step 2 – Connect
- Unpack your Ethernet Disk mini.
- Connect the power cord to the Ethernet Disk mini and to a grounded electrical outlet.
- Connect the included Ethernet cable to your Ethernet Disk mini and to your router.
- Press the blue power button on front of the device.
- Wait for the solid blue light. Continue to step 3.
Registration and Setup
Step 3 – Install and Configure Device
- Insert the LaCie Utilities CD into your computer’s CD or DVD drive to begin the Ethernet Disk mini – Home Edition Setup program.
- On the Ethernet Disk mini Setup page, click Step 1 Setup and follow the on-screen instructions.
- On the End User License Agreement page, click Agree.
- On the Registration page enter the 16-letter product key on the back of your drive and give your Ethernet Disk mini a name. The name you enter here will be the “Portal Name” you use to log in to your Ethernet Disk mini. Click Next.
Try to choose a name that is easy to remember. This is the name you will give to friends or family with whom you want to share content.
- Set the date and time for your device on the Date and Time page. Click Next.
- On the Administrator Account Creation page, enter a user name, display name and password. You will use the user name and password you enter here to log in to your Ethernet Disk mini when setup is complete. Click Next.
- Setup will check your router for UPnP compatibility and automatically configure it to communicate with homelacie.com.
- On the Notifications page, enter the email addresses where you want notices, errors and update information sent to. Click Next.
- The Summary page will display the IP address of your Ethernet Disk mini on your home network (ex. 192.168.1.5).
Write this address down and keep it in a safe place. Click Next.
Step 4 – Install Desktop Applications
- When setup is complete, the Finish page will open. Click Finish and continue to Setup Step 4 – Install Desktop Applications.
When you have finished configuring your router return to the Setup page and click Step 2 Install Desktop Applications and follow the on-screen instructions.NOTE:
To install Desktop Applications on additional computers, insert the HipServ Setup CD into the computer’s CD- or DVD drive and repeat Step 2 Install Desktop Applications for each additional computer.
Step 5 - Record Important Information
Record your important Ethernet Disk mini Home Edition Information below. You can use this information to configure desktop applications and to administer your Ethernet Disk mini.
- Ethernet Disk mini Setup Notes:
- Ethernet Disk mini Hostname: (example TheSmiths)
- Ethernet Disk mini Full Domain Address: (example TheSmiths.homelacie.com)
- Administrator Username: (example MrSmith)
- Administrator Password: