PERFORMANCEThunderbolt 3: Think bigger. Deliver faster.
The absolute fastest I/O.
For the 6big and 12big, LaCie harnessed the breakthrough performance potential of the Thunderbolt 3 I/O and squeezed the absolute best speeds out of the hard drives. We added a hardware RAID controller and 7200RPM drives, and the result is astonishing 12big speeds of up to 2600MB/s—and 2400MB/s in RAID 5.
For lightning-fast video workflows.
That kind of speed can slash time off nearly every task in your post-production workflow. Ingest hours of RAW footage from a Blackmagic® cinema camera into Adobe® Premiere® Pro in a fraction of the time. Then edit multiple streams of ProRes 422 (HQ), ProRes 4444 XQ, as well as uncompressed HD 10-bit and 12-bit video. For big projects packed with high-def clips, thumbnail and preview rendering becomes much more responsive.
And for your smartest workspace.
With double the video bandwidth of its predecessor, Thunderbolt 3 lets you daisy chain dual 4K displays or a single 5K display to the LaCie 12big or 6big. With two 4K displays, you can spread out your workspace by dedicating one display to your timeline and the other to previewing 4K footage, for example. It's even possible to power a compatible laptop through the Thunderbolt 3 connection***.
Compatible with Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 (Mac only)
Macs with Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 ports can experience high-end transfer rates with LaCie Thunderbolt 3 professional solutions. Apple’s Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter (sold separately) provides easy connection between LaCie Thunderbolt 3 solutions and Macs with earlier generations of Thunderbolt technology.*
*The Mac must be running macOS Sierra 10.12 or later and transfer rates are based upon the speed of the connection, up to 10Gb/s for Thunderbolt and up to 20Gb/s for Thunderbolt 2. For details and potential restrictions, see Apple Support
CAPACITYBigger in every way. Except in footprint.
With up to 120TB (12big) or 60TB (6big) on your desktop, you can safely store massive amounts of ultra hi-res footage.
4K FOOTAGE IN RAID 5**
4K FOOTAGE IN RAID 5**
Instead of buying a new storage device every time you need more capacity, invest up front in a future-proof, RAID-protected solution. Improve data access and security, which can save money in the long term.
Divide your storage into multiple volumes according to your workflow. Create one volume for ingesting transcoded clips and current projects and another for archiving final footage.
Thunderbolt 3 lets you daisy chain up to six devices to a computer via a single cable. So you could connect up to six LaCie 12big together, bringing a jaw-dropping 720TB to your computer.
Tough. Ready. Scalable.
LaCie 12big and 6big feature Seagate® IronWolf™ Pro, for
- Multi-drive environments
- A wide range of capacities
- RAID optimization
- Superior power management
- 300TB/year workloads
Peace of mind. No downtime.
- IronWolf Pro drives include a 5-year limited warranty
- 6big and 12big include an Advanced Replacement Offer. If your system fails, simply make a claim and you'll have a replacement unit within a few days, with 25 days to return the failed unit.
RAID & MONITORINGBig speed, big security. At the click of a button.
|Mode||Min. Disks||Max. Capacity||Redundancy||Speed|
|RAID 5 (default)||Min. Disks:3||Max. Capacity:85-90%||Redundancy:||Speed:|
|RAID 0||Min. Disks:2||Max. Capacity:100%||Redundancy:||Speed:|
|RAID 6||Min. Disks:4||Max. Capacity:65-80%||Security:||Speed:|
|RAID 50||Min. Disks:6||Max. Capacity:65-80%||Redundancy:||Speed:|
LaCie RAID Manager
Powerful features, straightforward setup. The redesigned LaCie RAID Manager gives you an intuitive interface to administer the LaCie 12big and 6big.
DESIGNOur biggest design for the most exacting video pros.
- Compact Footprint: Get massive capacity on your desktop in a footprint that’s smaller than an iPad Air® (59 vs 62 in2).
- Front-accessible drives: Conveniently and quickly remove and replace drives from the front of the product. Keep track of drive health and RAID build status with the front-facing drive status LEDs.
- Aluminum enclosure: Dissipates heat significantly better than plastic.
- Advanced cooling: Thermoregulated fans pull heat away from the internal components. Because the fans are redundant, the LaCie 12big and 6big remain operational even if a fan fails.
- USB 3.1: For universal compatibility, connect to USB-C laptops—and even USB 3.0 computers via the included USB-C to USB-A cable.
- Kensington lock compatible: Tether the product to a fixture to prevent theft.
Which big product are you?
|12big Thunderbolt 3||6big Thunderbolt 3||5big Thunderbolt 2|
|Hours of 4K footage stored (RAID 5)**||Up to 140||Up to 70||Up to 42|
|Ideal for video editing at||4K–6K||4K||4K|
|Performance (RAID 0)||2600MB/s||1400MB/s||1050MB/s|
|Hardware RAID 5/6||✓||✓||✓|
|Thunderbolt 2 Compatibility||✓|
|IronWolf Pro Enterprise-Class Drives||✓||✓||✓ (40TB only)|
|Limited Warranty||5-year||5-year||5-year (40TB only)|
|WHERE TO BUY||WHERE TO BUY||WHERE TO BUY|
- LaCie 12big or 6big Thunderbolt 3
- Power cable
- Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) cable
- USB 3.1 (USB-C) cable
- USB 3.1 (USB-C) to USB 3.0/USB 2.0 adapter cable
- Hard disks
- Quick Install Guide
* Maximum performance of 12big Thunderbolt 3. Up to 1400MB/s with 6big Thunderbolt 3. Actual data rates may vary depending on operating environment and other factors, such as RAID mode, RAID configuration, and disk capacity.
** Based on 764GB per hour of 4K ProRes 4444 XQ footage (source). Quantitative usage examples for various applications are for illustrative purposes.
*** Delivers up to 15W to power compatible laptops.
Thunderbolt and the Thunderbolt logo are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries.
When referring to drive capacity, one gigabyte, or GB, equals one billion bytes and one terabyte, or TB, equals one thousand billion bytes. Your computer’s operating system may use a different standard of measurement and report a lower capacity. In addition, some of the listed capacity is used for formatting and other functions and will not be available for data storage.