Frequently Asked Questions
Can I boot off of my FireWire Drive?
MacintoshFireWire booting is possible on all Macintosh models that have built-in FireWire ports except the Blue & White G3 and the PCI Graphics models of the G4. (See Apple Knowledgebase Article # 58606).
You cannot boot from a FireWire drive connected to a PCI Card.You cannot boot from FireWire if the drive is 120GB or larger in OS 9. You can only boot from larger drives in OS X.OS X
- Connect the FireWire drive and verify that the drive mounts.
- Install the appropriate system software to the drive.
- Open the StartUp Disk Control Panel and select the FireWire drive.
If you updated your version of OS X and the FireWire drive no longer can be booted from, try the following:
- Do a "Get Info" on the drive.
- Un-check the "Ignore Ownership" option.
- Run Disk Utility and Repair Permissions.
The PC does not support booting from FireWire devices at this time.